F1 teams schedule 2014 tests in Middle East
Budapest, July 29, 2013
Formula One teams will hold two pre-season tests in the Middle East next year as they seek out ideal weather conditions ahead of what promises to be one of their biggest challenges in years.
Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain are under consideration with Dubai - the only circuit of the three that does not host a grand prix - seen as the current favourite.
"Middle East tests will get the weather we need to give the engines a good work-out," Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn told Reuters at Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix, won by his driver Lewis Hamilton.
"So the first test will be European and second and third will be based in the Middle East.
"We must do both tests at the same circuit so we don't have any logistical issues," he added.
Bahrain is keen to host the opening round of the championship next year instead of Australia, although the calendar has yet to be settled.
Dubai's Emirates airline is a global partner of Formula One after signing a five-year deal in February and the Dubai Autodrome is FIA-approved and has hosted junior series and sportscar races.
Abu Dhabi's Yas Marina facility has been used in the past for young driver tests.
The first test of 2014 is likely to be in Spain, the traditional pre-season venue, at the southern Jerez circuit.
Formula One's regulations are changing next year in one of the biggest upheavals in decades. The sport has a new V6 turbocharged engine with energy recovery systems replacing the current V8.
As a result, teams have been allowed to test earlier than before, in January instead of having to wait until February, and outside of Europe. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week