Lexus launches sporty IS model in Mideast
Dubai, June 25, 2013
Lexus has introduced the all-new Lexus IS model range in the region to demonstrate a fresh direction for Lexus sedans, emphasising “emotional” design and the concept of the modern luxury sport sedan.
“With its contemporary and elegant design, advanced driving dynamics and innovative technology, the new IS range marks the entry of a distinctive and premium sports sedan to provide a truly responsive vehicle which is a natural extension of its driver,” said Nobuyuki Negishi, chief representative of Mena, Toyota Motor Corporation.
“The pursuit of perfection has earned us a reputation for amazing technical excellence, not to mention superior service and a new standard of luxury.
“Beyond the rational, however, we now aim for amazing emotion to make the Lexus IS a fun to drive car. So the Lexus IS represents much more than a car -- it’s an emotional experience and that is what the IS exemplifies by bringing our customers joy as part of a fulfilling and sophisticated lifestyle,” he added.
The new IS features the unique, trademark spindle grille, while the tail-lights in the rear are angled down and out and the rear spoiler integrated into the trunk lid’s trailing edge. The L shaped LED daytime running lights are positioned just underneath the headlamp cluster.
The interior, with its cockpit-like design with its contemporary lighting, has multiway adjustable front seats and the dashboard features an operation zone and a display zone. The longer wheelbase increases rear seat space and luggage capacity.
“Fun to drive”
The engineers really did their thing to ensure “fun to drive”, said Junichi Furuyama, IS chief engineer.
For example, new laser welding and adhesive bonding techniques were used to increase body rigidity. New sub frame and cowl side braces improve handling and steering.
The revised front suspension has a 20 percent increase in sway rigidity while the multilink suspension provides better grip and control. The new electric power steering system offers a more authentic road feel, with better feedback.
The IS 350 offers a 3.5-litre V6 with D4-S direct and port fuel injection. The V6 produces 312 hp @ 6,400rpm, 38.5kg-m/4800rpm torque. The IS 250 is powered by a smooth 2.5-litre V6 providing 204 hp @ 6,400rpm and 25.5kg-m/4800rpm torque.
The eight-speed, Sport Direct Shift (SPDS) automatic transmission features paddle shifters and the G-force Artificial Intelligence (G-AI) SHIFT, which automatically selects the optimum gear and downshift pattern in response to G force.
The sound generator introduces a distinctly sporty engine sound accelerating in the mid-to-high rpm ranges.
A new drive mode select system features up to four driving modes. The Normal Mode offers relaxing driving performance within the city and on the highway. The Eco Mode offers controlled driving performance for optimum fuel economy while the Sport/Sport S Mode offers a sporty driving feeling and excellent acceleration performance.
F Sport redefines the concept of the modern luxury sport sedan. The bottom corners of the front bumpers feature aerodynamic intakes that enhance brake cooling.
On board, the meter cluster is also inspired by the LFA. Interior trim detailing includes an F Sport steering wheel and shift knob, and aluminum pedals and scuff plates with the Lexus logo.
Both the front and rear suspension systems and the Electric Power Steering (EPS) are exclusively tuned. Optional Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) controls steering angle in accordance with vehicle speed and driver operation to realize better control at all speeds and improve driving feel during lane-changing and navigating winding roads.
An additional driving mode, Sport S+ (IS350 F Sport only), uses an adaptive variable suspension (AVS) system and refines the power train, so the driver can fine tune the ride. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers