UAE to host motor sport initiative
Dubai, June 24, 2013
One of five regional selection events to identify the world's top young driving talent is set to take place in the UAE, in September.
The global motor sport initiative, to take place from September 22 to 25, will deliver eight of the best young drivers in the world into the revamped FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy.
The programme aims to find and develop the next generation of world motorsport champions. It will feature training events at locations across Europe over the following season.
Up to 26 national motor sport authorities from across the Mena region and beyond will each send a nominated driver to the UAE.
The best drivers from the event, and the others being held for Europe, Africa, Asia-Pacific and the Americas, will enter the full academy programme along with three wild card selections, said a statement.
The UAE was chosen to stage the Mena event based on its achievements as one of only five Regional Training Providers on behalf the FIA, motor sport’s governing body.
The original format of the FIA Institute Young Driver Excellence Academy allowed for the training of around 30 drivers in the previous seasons, with about half of these taking part in the full academy programme, it said.
The format was revised based on recommendations from the Mena assembly of motor sport authorities in Doha in February. “This new structure will see a much greater uptake than before, particularly from developing countries,” said Dr Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the FIA vice president.
The ATCUAE said it will shortly announce its own candidate for the regional selection event, and confirm the venue.
All drivers nominated for the Academy programme must meet certain criteria based on age, experience, ambitions and language skills. The Academy curriculum is led by former Formula One driver and two-time 24 Hours of Le Mans champion, Alex Wurz, along with 2001 World Rally Champion co-driver Robert Reid. - TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers