Mercedes-Benz GL500 launched in Kuwait
Kuwait, May 6, 2013
A R Albisher and Z Alkazemi Co, the exclusive distributor for Mercedes-Benz in Kuwait, has launched the German brand’s latest sports utility vehicle (SUV) – the seven-seater GL 500.
Fitted with four cameras along the side mirrors and number plate, the GL offers 360 degrees vision capabilities, providing the driver with real time all around view from the front seat as well as the ability to judge distances and spot road obstacles.
The added Intelligent Lighting System and Night View Assist also provide enhanced visual aid and night vision for further safety.
The GL’s night vision abilities are possible due to the long wave infrared beams that are emitted from the headlamps upon sensing darkness. These beams are tracked by the cameras placed at the side mirrors and the image is reflected in high definition grey scale for the driver to see. The driver is then easily alerted of any unseen impending danger or simply pedestrians trying to cross the road.
Michael Ruehle, general manager, Abdul Rahman Albisher & Zaid Alkazemi Co, said: “The GL 500 360-degree camera is the ultimate innovation in this great SUV – on the road or in the desert, day or night, the driver is aware of everything that’s going on all around and can manage the journey with ease and safety for them and their family.”
Another highlight of the new GL 500 is the standard-fit Crosswind Assist, which helps the motorist if the car is affected by strong crosswinds.
It does so through targeted brake actuations, therefore ensuring an enhanced feeling of safety. The Steer Control steering assistance system, the load recognition and the Collision Prevention Assist (CPA) further increase the active safety.
Other new features available on the new GL 500 are the Active Lane Keeping Assist and Active Blind Spot Assist, together with a parking package incorporating an automatic function for entering and exiting parking spaces.
It is above all the numerous assistance systems which ensure enhanced handling safety and driver-fitness safety in the new GL. As part of its standard specification the new GL 500 has some impressive new features alongside the usual dynamic handling control systems ESP, ASR, ABS and the anticipatory safety concept Pre-Safe: on board for the first time are the Attention Assist drowsiness detection system and the optional CPA collision warning system.
The permanent all-wheel drive system 4MATIC is a standard specification for the GL 500 which means the car is ready to go off-road in an instant and vice-versa. The start-off assist, Downhill Speed Regulation DSR and a special off-road driving program are built-in to the SUV, and the On&Offroad package for the new GL has six driving programs for optimising driving dynamics and handling safety.
“Mercedes-Benz has engineered a powerful and luxurious SUV that is packed with intelligent features. The new GL 500 really raises the bar when in all areas because there is simply no other SUV that combines all these elements to work in synergy with one another. Only the history, experience and capability of the Mercedes-Benz brand can make it a reality,” added Ruehle. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service