F1 bosses give thumbs-up for Bahrain
Manama, April 20, 2013
The Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2013 will go ahead as planned and can be a force for good in the country, F1 bosses said.
Their statement came as fans put fun in the fast lane and the sound of racing engines during two 90-minute practice sessions heralded the start of the Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News reported.
In a joint statement, FŽdŽration Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) president Jean Todt and Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone, said: "The FIA and Formula One Management wish to jointly confirm their belief that the Bahrain GP should go ahead this weekend, following assurances from the local promoter and the authorities that security, their responsibility, will be guaranteed for all participants."
The statement is the first time Todt has come out openly in support of the race though Ecclestone has frequently voiced his belief that the race should go ahead. The statement also said there is no reason to reconsider Bahrain's place on the calendar.
"Both Todt and Ecclestone are united in expressing their support for the Bahrain GP and the national organiser, and wish that all concerned respect the desire of the teams, drivers and all those involved in the staging of the event to do the best job possible over the weekend," the statement said.
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners