Volkswagen reveals all-new Golf GTI
Dubai, March 6, 2013
German automobile manufacturer Volkswagen has revealed the next generation of superior dynamic performance at the opening day of the Geneva International Motor Show, with the global unveiling of the new Golf GTI.
The latest version of the compact sports car is powered by a turbocharged petrol, direct-injection engine (TSI) with 162 kW/220 PS as standard and accelerates to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds, reaching a top speed of 246 km/h.
As a classic with cult status, the Golf GTI systematically combines sportiness and driving fun, with the strengths of the Golf, into a unique concept of compact sport hatchback, a statement from Volkswagen said.
The 6-speed DSG automatic gearbox helps to reach DIN fuel consumption value of 6.0L/100 km; meaning the new car offers an 18 per cent improvement in fuel economy compared to the previous model.
Thomas Milz, managing director, Volkswagen Middle East, said: “The new Golf GTI is sportier than ever and one of the most eagerly anticipated new models for 2013. This model represents pure dynamics with all of the everyday utility qualities of the Golf, the seventh generation of which was launched in the Middle East in January. We are very excited to bring this even more dynamic Volkswagen icon to our region.”
“The GTI has long been a favourite amongst automotive aficionados across the Middle East and last year accounted for 60 per cent of all Golf model sales in the AGCC. The new GTI model is due to arrive in the Middle East during Q3 of this year and together with the new Golf, we are looking forward to introducing these spectacular new offerings to our customers.”
The sporty character of the Golf GTI is reflected in its traditional red-painted brake callipers, two chrome tailpipes and a sport suspension. The exterior of the sports car also scores with 17-inch “Brooklyn” GTI wheels and 225/45 size tyres, special side sills, a diffuser and smoked LED rear lights (including LED license plate illumination).
Visual highlights in the interior are top sport seats in tartan pattern (“Clark”), a black roofliner and red ambience lighting. The car also offers sporty GTI features such as a sport steering wheel, GTI gear shift grip and instrument cluster, special trim strips, stainless steel pedals and foot support. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers