K Rajaram presenting the Porsche 918 Spyder in Dubai.
Top hybrid super car roars into UAE
Abu Dhabi, February 14, 2013
The world’s first hybrid super race car, Porsche 918 Spyder, capable of travelling from zero to 100 km/h in less than three seconds, made its final UAE stop in Dubai this week as part of an exclusive Middle East tour.
The new generation Porsche 918 Spyder prototype, dubbed as the super sports car of tomorrow was presented to a VIP audience at the Porsche Centre Dubai Showroom, as part of a regional tour that includes Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain.
Designed as a high-performance hybrid with plug-in electric module, the model is limited to a worldwide production of just 918 individually numbered supercars with start of production in autumn this year.
The new Porsche 918 Spyder is available for order now in the UAE with a basic retail price of Dh3,294,00 ($89,658), said a top official.
“The 918 Spyder is the latest in a long line-up of Porsche super sports cars that embody the racing heritage and tradition that Porsche is renowned for,” remarked K Rajaram, the CEO of Al Nabooda Automobiles, the exclusive dealer for Porsche in Dubai and the Northern Emirates.
“With a top speed of over 325 km/h, and a purely electric top speed of over 150 km/h, the 918 Spyder pushes the boundaries in developing new technologies for future vehicle concepts. Having the opportunity to present such an amazing and exclusive vehicle to Porsche enthusiasts in Dubai was truly a remarkable experience,” he noted.
The 918 Spyder features a newly-designed 4.6-litre V8 engine producing over 580 hp, and is accompanied by two permanently energized electric motors on both front and rear axles, producing a combined power output of over 180 kW.
The total power output of the V8 engine and electric motors is over 795 hp, and is coupled to the seven-speed Porsche Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK), enabling extremely fast gear changes for high performance, comfort and efficiency.
"Sharing the same genes as the Porsche 917 Le Mans, the lightweight, high quality materials of the 918 Spyder keep the focus on what’s important: the driver. Intelligent ergonomics keep him comfortable and safe, with height-adjustable bucket seats, a dynamically rising centre console with touchscreen and a central instrument cluster with three separate dials," said the official.
The 918 Spyder continues the super sports car line in Porsche history; as technology demonstrators, the driving force behind emotion and evolution alike and the ultimate sports cars of their decade: the Carrera GTS, the first Porsche Turbo, the 959, the 911 GT1, the Carrera GT.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners