Al-Futtaim launches new RAV4 in UAE
Dubai, January 15, 2013
Al-Futtaim Motors, exclusive distributors of Toyota in the UAE announced the launch of Toyota’s fourth-generation RAV4, a reinvention of the original crossover sport utility vehicle.
Offering balanced performance, striking looks, class-leading cargo capacity and an array of standard features, the all new RAV4 is the perfect car for the young at heart looking for a fuel efficient, fun to drive, affordable SUV which is ready for anything.
“When it first debuted in 1994, RAV4 was considered a revolutionary crossover car, the concept of which was lately adopted by the automotive industry,” said Simon Frith, managing director, Al-Futtaim Motors.
“As a model that has sold 4.5 million units in over 150 countries around the world, we expect the all-new RAV4 to be well received by our retail and business customers due to its heritage of acclaimed capabilities, combined with a completely new athletic look, enhanced fuel efficiency, and exceptional in-cabin technologies.
“This car demonstrates Toyota’s new spirit and reflects its ambitions towards more stylish and fun cars while giving the driver a chance to take full advantage of an SUV. RAV4 will spearhead the UAE market growth in the coveted crossover segment which is forecast for global exponential growth over the next two years” he added.
Makoto Arimoto, RAV4 chief engineer, Toyota Motor Corporation said that this new RAV4 is yet another milestone in Toyota’s pursuit of emotionally engaging cars. According to him, over 700 staff members of his team worked together to translate the feedback and needs of the customers into the development of the next-generation RAV4.
In a significant break with its heritage, the new RAV4 will switch from its side-hinged rear door to a convenient roof-hinged liftgate with a space-saver spare tire stored under the cargo floor.
The RAV4’s production team collaborated to create a versatile seating arrangement, class-leading cargo space, and a quiet interior with high levels of standard equipment.
The new RAV4’s dash panel is driver-centric and asymmetrical, with primary and secondary controls all within easy reach. On the passenger side, the scalloped dash panel creates a sense of airy spaciousness.
The RAV4's dash panel and gauges all feature a new Clear Blue illumination, which provides crisp visibility in most ambient light conditions, and a unified, coherent appearance at night.
All RAV4s will have driver and front passenger seats with high seatbacks and a slim back, enhancing rear-passenger knee room by 9 mm.
In contrast to the 2013 RAV4’s compact exterior dimensions, the cargo area is deeper, larger and easier to access than in the previous generation. With rear seats folded, the RAV4 offers a class-leading maximum cargo capacity of 73.3 cu. ft. Also, for enhanced rear visibility, the new RAV4 discontinued the rear-mounted spare tire.
For 2013, RAV4 will provide a number of powertrain technologies that help deliver an engaging and satisfying driving experience. RAV4 is available with Toyota’s 2.5-liter (2494cc) naturally aspirated four-cylinder, which produces 176 SAE net horsepower at 6000 rpm and 172 lbs-ft. of torque at 4,100 rpm.
Replacing the previous-generation RAV4’s four-speed automatic is a six-speed transmission offering 10 per cent faster acceleration, 5 per cent more fuel mileage, quieter cabin a high speeds and smoother operation.
The new Eco mode modifies throttle sensitivity and air conditioning output for increased fuel economy over all types of driving conditions.
Additionally, the new RAV4 offers technologies such as a Sport Mode with Dynamic Torque Control 4WD, enhancements in suspension performance, and optimized electric power steering.
All 2013 RAV4s will have a class-leading six standard airbags, as well as a number safety features including Traction Control (TRC), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) (only for 4WD models), among others.
The new RAV4 also has Downhill Assist Control which helps the driver concentrating on steering the vehicle, by automatically applying appropriate hydraulic pressure to the brakes in order to maintain a constant low speed, without locking the wheels.
Automatic LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is added to the 2WD models. The Auto LSD places a greater emphasis on controlling wheel spin to assist with freeing the vehicle when one of the drive wheels is not in contact with the road and to enhance start-off performance on road surfaces with large rolling resistance, such as sand.
The new RAV 4 also features ultrasonic wave sensors to detect obstacles located at the rear of the vehicle and notify the driver of the location and distance from the obstacle through an LED (display and buzzer. A system with four sensors on the rear bumper has been adopted to enhance detection accuracy. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers