Image: KENCKOphotography / Shutterstock.com
Rolls-Royce Motors posts record sales for 2012
London, January 10, 2013
Rolls-Royce Motor Cars reported record car sales in 2012 as demand for its traditional luxury vehicles held up among wealthy Americans and Chinese, although its growth rate slowed down significantly from the previous two years.
Rolls, owned by German carmaker BMW, said on Thursday that car sales rose 1 percent to 3,575 in 2012 from 3,538 cars a year earlier.
It was the company's third consecutive year of record sales, but the growth rate was well below the 31 percent and 150 percent growth delivered in 2011 and 2010 respectively.
The US regained its position as Rolls' biggest single market in 2012, overtaking China. Mainland Europe, including Russia, was its third biggest market, followed by the Middle East and Asia Pacific.
"We had an outstanding year in spite of the challenges we faced, and Rolls-Royce now leads the ultra luxury market by some considerable margin," chief executive Torsten Muller-Otvos said.
The luxury car market has been largely unaffected by the economic downturn, helped by continued demand for premium vehicles from Asia's mega rich. Mass-market carmakers such as Ford are cutting capacity and jobs because of a slowdown in demand.
Rolls said it had expanded into a number of new markets in 2012, including Latin America. It now has a presence in more than 40 international markets.
The firm, which sells most of its cars with some element of bespoke personalisation, is expected to launch a new two-door Ghost model this year and complete the expansion of its plant in Goodwood in southern England. – Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show