Hyundai recalls Veloster on sunroof problem
New York, December 19, 2012
Hyundai Motor Co is recalling about 13,500 of its 2012 Veloster models with sunroofs that may shatter while the car is moving, the company and US safety regulators said.
The "panoramic" sunroof may have been weakened during assembly of the cars, which could cause the glass panel to break, said a filing with the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Veloster is a three-door compact car. Models produced from November 1, 2011 through April 17, 2012 are affected by the recall. The cars are made in Hyundai's home country of South Korea.
NHTSA said it has received 11 consumer complaints saying that sunroofs have shattered or exploded in their 2012 Veloster models. Seven of them reported that they were driving when the glass shattered, some of them while the Veloster was traveling at highway speeds.
No injuries or crashes were reported to NHTSA.
The safety recall will begin next month. Hyundai will notify customers who will be advised to bring their cars into dealerships for inspection and, if necessary, free replacement of the sunroofs.
Hyundai sold 32,886 Velosters in the first 11 months of this year, according to Autodata Corp. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers