World's first luxury hybrid cars make ME debut
Dubai, October 25, 2012
Fisker, the world’s first environmentally-responsible luxury car made its official Middle East debut last night at a glittering event hosted by Al-Futtaim’s Trading Enterprises in Dubai.
The award-winning Karma sedan, manufactured by California-based Fisker Automotive, a private company that designs, manufactures and markets plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs), was unveiled in front of global media at Al Badia Golf Club, Dubai Festival City.
Senior management from Al-Futtaim and Fisker Automotive pulled the wraps off the high performance electric luxury vehicle, making the privately held Dubai-based business group exclusive partner in the GCC and Mena regions.
The launch was attended by Henrik Fisker, co-founder and executive chairman at Fisker Automotive, Barny Koehler, co-founder and CEO of Europe and Middle East, Fisker Automotive, Len Hunt, president of Automotive, Al-Futtaim Group, Colin Cordery, managing director, Trading Enterprises and other senior management from Al-Futtaim.
The region’s first Fisker showroom will open in Dubai Festival City’s automotive park before the end of the year, said a top official.
Colin Cordery, the managing director, Trading Enterprises said: "We are familiar with first-class automotive brands and understand the need to offer premium customers a technologically-advanced vehicle that respects the environment."
Depending on the chosen interior trims, accessories and paint combinations, the Fisker Karma will retail in the UAE for between Dh500,000 and Dh600,000 ($136,092 and $163,310), he added.
Hollywood actor and environmentalist Leonardo Di Caprio is an equity investor in Fisker Automotive who are committed to producing electric vehicles with extended range that deliver uncompromised responsible luxury.
The company is on the forefront of designing and developing the world’s first line of premium plug-in electric hybrid vehicles.
As per a deal with Fisker, Trading Enterprises will distribute the Leonardo Di Caprio-endorsed Fisker automobiles exclusively in the UAE, Saudi, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, Egypt and the Levant region.
On the regional launch, Fisker said: "Today is a proud moment for the Fisker brand as it is the start to our journey in the Middle East. We could not have found a better business house than Al-Futtaim Group to partner us."
Following the unveiling of Karma, Fisker said: "The Karma sedan is built according to the company’s sustainable and accountable design philosophy, which represents a dramatic leap forward for the auto industry. Its approach to responsible luxury goes well beyond minimising fuel consumption and tailpipe emissions."
"Fisker uses renewable materials and the lowest-impact technologies at every stage of the engineering, production and marketing processes," he added.
The Fisker Karma sedan has already picked a number of global awards in its debut sales year, including Top Gear’s Luxury Car of the Year, Automobile’s Design of the Year Award, listing in Time Magazine’s Top 50 Innovations of 2012, a Global Green Design Award, and Swiss magazine Schweizer Illustrierte named Karma Most Stylish Car of 2012.
Confirming the Fisker Karma’s status as a future classic, setting the trends of tomorrow’s cars today, Motor Trend Magazine in the US nominated the car as one of its Top 10 Future Classics taking into account a car’s significance, rarity and purity of design.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service