BMW, MINI record highest sales
Dubai, October 11, 2012
BMW and MINI have achieved record sales across the Middle East region, with a total of 15,805 vehicles sold in 14 markets – a 15 per cent increase over the same period last year.
The company also concluded its best quarter ever (July to Sept) and achieved its highest sales volume in a single month, with 1,981 BMW and MINI vehicles delivered across the Middle East in August.
The year-to-date results demonstrate the continued growth of the region’s automotive industry, with the BMW Group making gains in almost all GCC markets and most importers recording double digit growth, a statement from the company said.
The UAE remained the biggest market in the Middle East, accounting for 48 per cent of BMW and MINI regional sales during the first nine months of the year, followed by Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
Markets that showed good individual sales increases included Jordan which grew by 50 per cent, Oman 40 per cent, Kuwait 31 per cent, Abu Dhabi 30 per cent, Qatar 19 per cent, Lebanon 18 per cent, and Saudi Arabia 14 per cent.
“We are very pleased with our 2012 nine month results,” said Alexander Eftimov, director of sales and marketing, BMW Group Middle East. “We have focused on driving the BMW Group brands forward in the region and as a result, our models continue to be in high demand."
The BMW 5 Series remained the company’s most popular model, accounting for a quarter of all regional sales. The flagship BMW 7 Series was also amongst the company’s best selling cars, representing 18 per cent of overall sales, the statement said.
Offering new levels of luxury, comfort and power, the new and refined 7 Series model went on sale in the region last month. Expected to further amplify BMW's 7 Series success story in the Middle East, the latest generation is set to be a strong driving force behind future sales achievements, it said.
“We are working towards ending the year with record sales and have no doubt that the new model will play a major role in helping us achieve this. It is the best BMW 7 Series we have ever built and due to its recent arrival in the region, we expect to see momentum increase in the final quarter of the year,” added Eftimov.
The BMW X6 Sports Activity Coupé and X5 Sports Activity Vehicle continued to remain among BMW Group’s top five best-selling models. Demonstrating that Middle East customers still have a preference to purchase highly specified, versatile vehicles with powerful engines, 35 per cent of the company’s sales in the Middle East during the first nine months of 2012 were from its X models - BMW X6, X5, X3 and the X1.
August this year saw MINI turn 53. Reaffirming its position as the fastest growing premium brand in the world as well as in the Middle East, MINI witnessed 19 per cent sales growth during the first nine months of 2012, it said.
Sales were led by the MINI Countryman – the first MINI with four doors and four wheel drive capabilities – which accounted for 43 per cent of the brand’s regional sales, followed by the MINI Hatch which accounted for 31 per cent and MINI Coupé 13 per cent.
"We will continue to grow our brands by working with our importer partners to launch new beautifully-designed and technologically-advanced vehicles and by investing in staff and customers services,” Eftimov said. “With our January-September results setting the pace for another successful year, we have an overall record for 2012 firmly in our sight. Customers believe in the BMW Group brands, and our position as the leading global premium car manufacturer is a position we intend to maintain.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi