Blaze guts Motor City showroom in Bahrain
Manama, October 11, 2012
An investigation is underway after a fire gutted part of Bahrain’s Motor City showroom in Sitra yesterday, reportedly causing around BD100,000 ($265,956.92) of damage.
Eleven Volvo cars were destroyed in the blaze, which broke out at around 3am, along with the company's offices on the first floor of the building.
Sources said a Nepalese watchman was being questioned about the incident, but Interior Ministry officials said it was too early to say what caused the fire.
An official confirmed five cars were completely destroyed in the fire, while another suffered 60 per cent damage and five others minor damage.
He said the entire showroom on the ground floor suffered extensive damage and offices on the first floor were completely gutted.
"The Civil Defence and other concerned authorities are doing their job but it is too early to say what exactly happened," added the official.
Motor City officials declined to comment, but in an advertisement placed in our sister newspaper, the Gulf Daily News, said there had been an "unfortunate incident" at the Volvo and Citroen showroom in Sitra that led to "fire and damage".
The company said its operations had been moved to its Sanad showroom and invited its customers to visit there for sales and other inquiries.
Witness Ali Majeed, who was on his way home to Sitra after dropping off a friend, said he saw flames coming from the top floor of the building and called the Civil Defence.
"I then waited there for a few minutes and circled the area. It was after a few minutes that the fire engines arrived but by then the entire building was ablaze," he said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota remains ‘world’s most valuable car brand’
- Yas Marina Circuit appoints new CEO
- Mercedes-Benz event shows off SUV range
- Qatar Rail backs Gulf Traffic Week
- Citibank in Bahrain F1 tickets offer
- New Renault Safrane arrives in Saudi
- Bentley announces key regional postings
- Jordan dealer launches Jaguar promotion
- New Maserati Ghibli launched in Bahrain
- BMW unveils mobile site, iDrive in Arabic
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show