Al-Futtaim launches Toyota drifting team
Dubai, July 8, 2012
Al-Futtaim Motors, exclusive distributors of Toyota in the UAE, has launched the Toyota Emirates Drifting Team, following the introduction of the new Toyota 86, the latest sports car to the Toyota line-up.
Led by Ahmed Al Ameri, the UAE drift king who last week was crowned the 2011/2012 Drift UAE champion for the first time, Emirates Drifting Team is the UAE’s most accomplished drifting team and the first to get the official support of a local auto distributor, a statement said.
The announcement was made at the recent Drift UAE 2012 Award Ceremony organised by Motorsports Solutions, where Ahmed Al Ameri was crowned the title of the Drift UAE champion for the 2011/2012 season.
Al Ameri, 27, will be modifying the Toyota 86 in the summer to race it during the remaining 2012 and 2013 championship seasons.
“We’re very excited to be supporting the increasingly popular drifting sports in the UAE through the formation of the Toyota Emirates Drifting Team and our endorsement of Ahmed Al Ameri,” said Simon Frith, managing director Al-Futtaim Motors.
“With his passion for the Toyota 86, Al Ameri has joined our team at the launch of this fascinating car last month and has demonstrated a deep and genuine appreciation for this car’s capabilities. We were impressed with his excitement about the Toyota 86 which generated a lot of positive vibes in the media and social sites visited and led by motorsports and automotive enthusiasts,” he added.
Al-Futtaim Motors Toyota will offer Al Ameri a brand new manual Toyota 86 to be modified according to his expertise, to make it fit for the upcoming drifting seasons in the UAE and the region.
A highly experienced driver, Al Ameri has several podium results on his record, in Red Bull Car Park Drift well as Drift UAE championship.
Al Ameri said: “Having Toyota as a sponsor for my young team is something I was wishful for since I started my drifting journey. My team will be very busy in the coming months preparing the car for the next challenges which will kick-off in September 2012.”
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Al-Futtaim Motors Toyota for recognizing drifting as an official motorsport. Drifting is one of the fastest growing motorsports in the UAE and the Arab world, and I am sure with the support of the world’s largest car manufacturer this sport will now be taken seriously by the rest of the automotive players in the UAE” he concluded.
“Through the launch of the new Toyota 86, we promised to be more emotionally engaging. We see the Toyota Emirates Drifting Team delivering on that promise,” Frith added.
One of Toyota Emirates Drifting Team’s main missions is to raise awareness about road safety and ethics among drifting amateurs and young drivers through a series of planned activities across the UAE. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi
- Arabian Auto named Importer of the Year
- Dubai RTA launches limo booking service
- Bahrain F1 fans to meet favourite drivers
- Motorcity offers special service for Chery owners