Machdar launches i1 Supercar Series
Abu Dhabi, December 20, 2011
Machdar Motorsports has officially launched the i1 Supercar Series at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi by unveiling an impressive list of drivers who will participate in the event.
The international drivers will include 1997 F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve, 2011 F1 drivers Vitantonio Liuzzi and Karun Chandhok, and former F1 race winners Giancarlo Fisichella, Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Jean Alesi.
The list of Indian drivers includes Armaan Ebrahim, Aditya Patel and Parthiva Sureswaren, a statement from the company said.
M Darshan, CEO of i1 Super Series also announced the FIA approved calendar for the series with the first race to be held in Sepang, Malaysia on January 22, 2012.
“As promised we have a fantastic line-up of proven international race winners mixed with young Indian drivers. The drivers had their experience of the Radical SR3 today at the Yas Marina Circuit and we will work closely with them to make the car even better,” Darshan said.
There will be a driver pool of 27 drivers with 18 drivers being chosen for each race weekend, and the drivers for each race weekend will be chosen by the teams themselves, the statement said.
The i1 Supercar Series announced the women line-up on the grid with Indycar driver Pippa Mann and Cyndie. Other drivers confirmed for the series include former F1 drivers Sakon Yamamoto, Alex Yoong, Red Bull demo driver Neel Jani and former Ferrari and Sauber driver Mika Salo, it said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- All-new E63 AMG launched in Kuwait
- RAK yacht club enters new partnership
- VW lists recommended retail prices in GCC
- Nissan to recall 841,000 vehicles
- Volkswagen’s new Golf GTI launched in ME
- Nissan ME posts 26pc sales growth in FY2012
- Oman 'must adopt smart road technologies'
- BMW launches the new Z4 in Mideast
- Mannai opens Chevrolet centre in Istanbul
- Aston Martin marks centenary in style