Liberty to launch electric buses in UAE
Dubai, January 12, 2011
DesignLine Corporation, a developer of the most advanced electric zero-emission vehicles in the world, has joined hands with Dubai-based Liberty Automobiles to roll out its first electric and hybrid buses in the UAE.
US-based DesignLine, the first and only manufacturer whose 100 per cent electric, zero-emission buses are in daily operation, said the new-concept buses were aimed at creating more green cities.
As a first step, the US firm has appointed Liberty Automobiles as the exclusive dealer for its electric and hybrid buses in the emirates.
The appointment reflects DesignLine's strategy to market its new-generation electric and hybrid buses in the Middle East, as the region is increasingly looking for eco-friendly public transportation systems, in an effort to reduce carbon footprint and eliminate vehicular pollution, said a senior official.
Sheikh Khalid Bin Abdul Aziz Al Qasimi, chairman of Liberty Investment Company, holding company of Liberty Automobiles, said: "We are delighted to represent DesignLine, a company that is spearheading a revolution in public transportation through electric and hybrid buses."
"We share DesignLine's passion for introducing clean, pollution-free buses, as electric vehicles hold the key to green cities, and recent developments worldwide indicate that governments will increasingly switch to carbon-neutral vehicles sooner than later," he remarked.
These electric buses can run up to 160 km on a single charge, said a company statement.
Duncan Peat, managing director of Liberty Automobiles, said, "We consider it a privilege to be appointed the exclusive dealer for DesignLine's revolutionary electric and hybrid buses in the UAE."
"As a major automobile dealer with showrooms, after-sales facilities and offices across the UAE, we are ideally placed to market the new-concept buses. In the medium term, we will also explore the potential to manufacture these buses in the UAE as demand from the region is expected to grow.”
DesignLine Corporation has supplied two 100 per cent Electric Buses, known as the Eco-Smart, to Abu Dhabi's Tourism Development & Investment Company (TDIC) and are currently in daily operation on Sir Bani Yas Island.
“The appointment of Liberty Automobiles as the exclusive dealer for UAE reflects DesignLine's longterm strategy to enter the Gulf region through a company that has successfully represented top US automobile brands for nearly 35 years,” said Brad Glosson, CEO, DesignLine Corporation.
“DesignLine electric vehicles are the world's only zero-emission vehicles that are deployed for daily passenger service, proving that we don’t make just concept buses,” Glosson stated.
“Our batteries are easy to charge and fully recyclable at the end of their life, and the Drive-train is based on DesignLine’s proven and proprietary system.”
“DesignLine believes there are abundant opportunities for operational expansion in the Middle East, with potential buyers in the region showing keen interest in our electric and hybrid bus technology," he remarked.
"Through the expertise of an award-winning dealership like Liberty Automobiles, we are confident of making new inroads into the promising Middle East markets," he added.
DesignLine, which has operations in the US and New Zealand, recently launched a regional subsidiary, DesignLine Middle East, based in Jordan.-TradeArabia News Service
More Motoring Stories
- Toyota holds body and paint contest in Bahrain
- 330 tonnes of specialist racing cargo for Bahrain
- Automatic licence holders 'can't drive manual cars in Qatar'
- Jaguar Land Rover wins advertising award
- Rolls-Royce to buy key Daimler stake
- Nissan develops ‘smart rearview mirror’
- Dubai Taxi to offer Wi-Fi Internet in cabs
- Infiniti unveils new engine for Q50 Eau Rouge
- Bentley to debut Continental GT Speed at Geneva
- 17 die on Saudi roads daily
- Gargash to build showrooms for China automaker
- Jaguar to launch new sports sedan
- Jaguar Land Rover launches pre-owned programme
- Nissan Patrol sales hit top gear in Jan
- Al-Futtaim wins control of Kenya motor firm
- Dubai RTA, vehicle mortgagers improve service
- Arabian Auto posts 20pc rise in Nissan sales
- Global premiere for two Maserati models
- New Lexus wins Wheels magazine award
- Batelco to hold annual motor show
- Hyundai to unveil Intrado at Geneva
- Bahrain circuit to honour Schumacher
- Hertz unveils big plans for ME travellers
- F1 stars meet racing fans in Bahrain
- New Audi A3 Sedan launched in Bahrain
- Tata mulls Jaguar Land Rover plant in Saudi
- Nissan to showcase top models at Geneva show
- 51pc Dubai car buyers 'dissatisfied' with price
- Kia on Tour to start next week
- Al-Futtaim supplies hybrids to Cars Taxi