Nepali official denies labour abuses in Qatar
Doha, October 1, 2013
Officials from Nepal and Qatar have sought to play down a news report that Nepali labourers face deadly conditions on the Gulf state's building sites, holding a joint news conference to say the migrant workers were "safe and fully respected."
Britain's Guardian newspaper reported that dozens of Nepali workers had died on Qatari building sites over the summer. Nepal recalled its ambassador from Qatar on Thursday after it emerged that she had called the country an "open jail" for Nepalis who suffer labour abuses.
"We deny all that is mentioned in these false reports, and ask the bodies that publish them not to use Nepali workers as a means to achieve their inappropriate targets and agendas," Mohammad Ramadan, employed by the Nepali government as a legal advisor for Nepali nationals, told the news conference.
"We also stress that all Nepali workers are safe and fully respected," said Ramadan.
There are 340,679 Nepalis in Qatar, according to figures distributed at the news conference, attributed to the Nepali Embassy. Most of them work in construction in the country that is preparing to host the 2022 soccer World Cup.
Citing Nepali embassy figures, Ramadan said 276 Nepalis died in Qatar last year, of which 20 percent were on work sites. The rest died of natural causes and in accidents not at the workplace, he said.
So far this year, 151 Nepalis have died, 10 percent were on building sites.
The Guardian, also citing Nepali Embassy documents, said at least 44 workers died between June 4 and Aug 8.
A spokesman for the newspaper said on Monday that it stands by its story that embassy documents show the deaths of at least 44 Nepalese workers during that time, and that more than half died "of heart attacks, heart failure or workplace accidents."
Ali Al-Marri, the chairman of Qatar's National Human Rights Committee, an official state body, told the news conference: "The numbers published by the media differ greatly from the actual numbers."
Qatar was awarded the World Cup three years ago and now has to complete the infrastructure needed to host the huge sporting event. The sport's governing body Fifa has said it was concerned about the reports of labour rights abuses. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo