Qatar least of football's problems now say players
Zurich, September 24, 2013
The heat at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be the least of soccer's worries given the more immediate concerns surrounding next year's competition in Brazil, the world players' union FIFPro has said.
FIFPro secretary general Theo van Seggelen said other important issues such as the transfer system and third-party ownership of players were also being shunted out of the limelight by the debate over the timing of the Qatar World Cup.
"It astonishes me that the media is obsessed with Qatar in nine years' time and does not seem very bothered about the World Cup in 2014," Van Seggelen told Reuters in a telephone interview.
Van Seggelen, speaking after a meeting with Fifa president Sepp Blatter, said travelling and heat were FIFPro's biggest concerns for next year, where some matches are being scheduled to kick off at 1300 local time in tropical venues.
He said players had already suffered the effects of the heat at this year's Confederations Cup, especially at the Fortaleza semi-final which went to extra time.
"I spoke to the Italian and Spanish players after the semi-final and they said it was impossible to play extra time in that heat, and that was a late afternoon kickoff," he said.
"We have to realise that it's not just the quality of the game that is affected, but the players' health could be damaged.
"The travelling is also a problem, you have four-hour flights in some cases and when you have just played a tough game and only have a few days to recover, that also has an effect."
The Dutchman added he was waiting for a detailed report about the conditions in Brazil before taking the matter up with Fifa again.
Van Seggelen said he had a good relationship with Fifa but warned that, after world soccer's governing body failed to consult players over plans for 2014, FIFPro would take a tougher stance in the future.
"Unfortunately, we are going to have to start playing hardball, not because we want to but because we have no other choice," he said. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack
- 3 policemen killed in Bahrain blast
- Dammam-Al Ahsa train service starts
- Egypt wheat supplies enough to last until June
- Expat killed at Saudi workers' holding facility
- 80 global speakers for Doha summit on family
- Restaurant runs up $47,555 phone bill in 4 days
- NZ minister to visit Gulf states
- Public-private tie-ups ‘vital for agri growth’
- China firm wins solar power project in Amman
- 15,000 attend Bahrain garden show
- Omani firms shine at top food expo