First big French wheat export to Saudi
Paris, August 9, 2013
A vessel is due to call at French Atlantic ports from next week to load about 60,000 tonnes of soft wheat for Saudi Arabia, shipping sources said, marking the first time a large volume of French wheat will be exported to the kingdom.
The Shekou Sea panamax bulk carrier is scheduled to call at the ports of Nantes and Montoir to load an estimated 59,000 to 63,000 tonnes of wheat, the sources said.
The cargo would be the biggest known French wheat export to the country, after a small shipment of 7,000 tonnes in the 1999/2000 season, according to customs data. It follows a move by the Saudi state buyer this year to start purchasing soft wheat in addition to the hard wheat varieties it usually takes.
Traders said the French export loading was related to a purchase of soft wheat by Saudi Arabia's state buyer in June.
Saudi Arabia's Grains and Silos Flour Management Organisation (GSFMO) said it started tenders for soft wheat, a category in which French wheat falls, in response to growing demand for biscuits and other sweet foods.
French exporters have also been trying to persuade Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern importers, which typically source higher protein and gluten hard wheat, that soft wheat can be adapted to their bread.
Iraq recently agreed to test a cargo of French wheat after an Iraqi delegation visited France. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact
- Saudi woman, 80, donates $133m to charity
- New Saudi clamp on energy drinks
- Outrage follows Bahrain killer bomb
- Improvised explosive device used in Bahrain attack