Russian from Dubai held with 26,000 diamonds
Moscow, March 12, 2013
Some 26,000 diamonds, worth at least $162,000 and contained in transparent plastic bags in hand luggage, proved too much for the "nothing to declare" lane at a Moscow airport.
An unemployed, 37-year-old Russian man carrying the precious package from Dubai was detained on Sunday at the international Sheremetyevo airport, Russia's federal customs service said.
"One customs officer noticed he was very nervous during regular luggage checks and was pressing a bag under his arm, so she asked him to let her see what was inside," spokeswoman Natalia Karaseva said.
The man, from the restive Dagestan region in Russia's North Caucasus, said he was carrying the diamonds as a favour for a friend. It was not clear whether he would face criminal charges. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain firm to set up virtual fantasy world
- Egypt gathers 2.7m tonnes of wheat
- Iran seeks to speed up nuclear activity: IAEA
- RAK yacht club enters new partnership
- Mubadala unit developing new cabin concept
- Iran denies link to spying ring in Saudi
- Turkey shuts Syria border after bombings
- Enrolment for tourism youth summer camp opens
- Bahrain MPs vote to ban pork
- Kuwaiti touristic website introduced