Bahrainis in Egypt ‘safe’
Manama, January 29, 2013
Bahrainis in Egypt have nothing to fear despite five days of violence that has led to the deaths of 50 people and a state of emergency being declared in three cities, a report said.
Armed forces have been deployed on the streets of Port Said, Ismailiya and Suez following orders by President Mohamed Mursi to protect "vital establishments", according to the report published in our sister newspaper the Gulf Daily News.
Protests erupted on Saturday after a court sentenced 21 people to death for their roles in last year's football stadium disaster that killed 74 people.
Some relatives of the defendants declared the verdict unfair and turned their anger against the president and his government.
But despite the violence, an Egyptian Embassy official said daily life was continuing as normal.
"The situation in Egypt at the moment is a temporary crisis which will hopefully pass swiftly," he said.
"During the events of January 2011 (when former president Hosni Mubarak was overthrown), we had Bahraini students and citizens getting in touch with us and we directed them to the nearest airports and got them out safely.
"However, so far we haven't been contacted. We can only speak for our own citizens, but the situation seems to be under control."
The official said a major conference to be attended by world leaders in the Egyptian capital next week was still going ahead.
"The Islamic Summit Conference is being held in Cairo from February 2 to 7," he said. "It is going ahead as planned and many world leaders and dignitaries will be there."
Around 700 Bahrainis are understood to be living in Egypt, mostly students who are based in Cairo. – TradeArabia News Service