Cameron and His Majesty in London
Bahrain, UK vow security cooperation
London, August 24, 2012
Bahrain and the UK yesterday pledged to step up co-operation to safeguard security and stability in the Gulf.
The region's security is a priority for Bahrain and other GCC countries, said His Majesty King Hamad of Bahrain as he met British Prime Minister David Cameron during his visit to London.
"We requested the British Prime Minister to provide Bahrain with technical expertise to improve security and combat the spread of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction," His Majesty said after the talks.
The leaders pledged co-operation to combat piracy and all types of terrorism, reinforce democracy and human rights, and strengthen trade relations.
They also agreed on maintaining peace in the Middle East and expressed concern over the bloodshed in Syria and its repercussions for the entire region.
"Our visit to Britain is to personally extend congratulations to the British Prime Minister on the success of the 2012 Olympic Games and to congratulate the British people on the outstanding achievements of British athletes during the games," His Majesty said.
He praised the important international role played by the UK in the region and lauded historical bilateral relations.
His Majesty also stressed the importance of consultation through the establishment of a joint work team chaired by the foreign ministers to boost co-operation in all fields. - TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- SMEs conference opens in Bahrain
- Nasa finds evidence of freshwater lake in Mars
- Diamond to launch UK café brand in UAE
- Mideast super-rich's wealth surges to $354bn
- Focus on anti-trafficking co-operation
- 300 brands on show at Saudi Foodex
- Bridge project at US base to be ready soon
- DuPont in sustainability goals success
- Abu Dhabi Police, Royal Jet ink agreement
- Jotun opens warehouse in Dammam