Algeria grain harvest to rise 31pc
Algiers, April 9, 2012
Algeria expects its grain harvest to reach 5.5 million tonnes this season due to better weather conditions, the official APS news agency quoted an agriculture ministry official as saying, a 31 percent rise on the previous campaign.
The head of the statistics department, Hocine Abdelghafour, said the harvest would be good thanks to sufficient rainfall in the past weeks and new equipment provided to farmers, APS reported.
APS also quoted Agriculture Minister Rachid Benaissa as saying durum output would "very good" this season. "The campaign will be very good in terms of durum wheat production, good for soft wheat and average for barley," APS quoted the minister as saying. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Abu Dhabi Police, Royal Jet ink agreement
- Jotun opens warehouse in Dammam
- RAK Ceramics deploys top SAP software
- GCAA warns on helium balloon dangers
- Top pizza chain plans big UAE investment
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to clinch key deal
- UAE food expo nets $544m deals
- Bleak outlook for WTO deal as rift widens
- Cargill picks top ME banker for Asia role
- Raytheon sees $5bn Mideast orders in 'weeks'