Algeria grain harvest to rise 31pc
Algiers, April 9, 2012
Algeria expects its grain harvest to reach 5.5 million tonnes this season due to better weather conditions, the official APS news agency quoted an agriculture ministry official as saying, a 31 percent rise on the previous campaign.
The head of the statistics department, Hocine Abdelghafour, said the harvest would be good thanks to sufficient rainfall in the past weeks and new equipment provided to farmers, APS reported.
APS also quoted Agriculture Minister Rachid Benaissa as saying durum output would "very good" this season. "The campaign will be very good in terms of durum wheat production, good for soft wheat and average for barley," APS quoted the minister as saying. - Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Bahrain firm to set up virtual fantasy world
- Egypt gathers 2.7m tonnes of wheat
- Iran seeks to speed up nuclear activity: IAEA
- RAK yacht club enters new partnership
- Mubadala unit developing new cabin concept
- Iran denies link to spying ring in Saudi
- Turkey shuts Syria border after bombings
- Enrolment for tourism youth summer camp opens
- Bahrain MPs vote to ban pork
- Kuwaiti touristic website introduced