Dubai Culture picks 24 artists for fair
Dubai, March 12, 2012
Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture) has announced the names of 24 artists selected for Sikka 2012, the dedicated artist-led fair of commissioned work.
The second edition of the fair will be held from March 15 to 25 running concurrently with Art Week, Dubai’s premier umbrella arts initiative.
The artists were short-listed by Sikka’s cross-disciplinary selection committee, chaired by the Authority, comprising established Emirati creative influencers.
The artists were chosen for the concept of their projects, their inspirations, techniques, mediums and know-how of the artists.
Salem Belyouha, projects & events director, Dubai Culture & Arts Authority, said: “The selected projects for Sikka 2012 underline the evolving and varied visual arts landscape of the region.”
“These artists have explored a spectrum of topics through mediums ranging from photography to mixed-media installations bringing a rich personal perspective to the work. Their participation will be an inspiration for emerging artists in the country and in turn contribute to enhancing original content creation.”
“Sikka 2012 will present the direction of evolution of art in the UAE, led by artists here who integrate local ideas with global trends. Sikka, thus, is the first window to the emerging art scene in the UAE,” he added.
Sikka 2012 will be held at the historic Al Bastakiya, the cultural nerve-centre of Dubai. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Sanjeev Kapoor captivates Treat visitors
- Sudan firm to export animal feed to Gulf
- Arrest of Saudi with pressure cooker 'overzealous'
- Stability ‘returning to Bahrain streets’
- UAE’s coffee & tea usage up 85pc in 3 years
- Alwaleed Foundation supports art course
- Saudi arrested in US after 'false' statement
- Hansgrohe revenue rises 5.4pc to $1bn in 2012
- Carlyle Group buys stake in Jordan’s Al Nabil
- RATP launches new tramway in Algeria