Costa Coffee names Mena winner
Dubai, July 31, 2011
Costa Coffee has named Ace Valino of Bahrain as regional winner of its annual barista competition held among baristas from UAE, Egypt, Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.
Valino will move forward to compete in the Champion of Champions final of Costa’s annual international barista competition, Barista of the Year.
After a day of competition, judges named the regional champion, who impressed judges with his signature Midnight Snatcher beverage - which he described as “a sweet, aromatic drink with a warm kick at the end”.
“I’m incredibly honoured to have been named the winner here today. This has been one of the greatest challenges of my career so far, and I’m thrilled to be moving forward in the competition,” said Valino.
“In my four years of working at Costa, I have had the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally; I know I have been trained by some of the best in the industry, and that the Costa approach to preparing hand crafted coffee is second to none.”
Contestants for the sixth Costa Barista of the Year are judged on technical skill, presentation, personality and passion for coffee.
It is not only about a technically perfect coffee - it’s also about how they go about doing it, adding creative flair and passion to prepare the perfect barista recipe.
Last year’s contestants were tasked with creating their own unique signature drink that was judged on taste, presentation and innovation.
“Costa’s Barista of the Year competition is a celebration of the passion, skill and expertise that goes into the creation of each and every cup of Costa’s coffee,” said Andy Marshall, chief operating officer for Costa International.
“Barista of the Year is an opportunity to showcase the skill and talent our baristas at Costa have. It is a fun competition, but make no mistake, it’s tough: we look for excellence across the board and are on the hunt for the best Costa barista in the world. Today’s results in Dubai may see them go on to take that title,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Miscellaneous Stories
- New Emirati themed restaurant opens
- 4 UAE companies in race for agri innovation awards
- Stage set for Bahrain Animal Production Show
- Amphibious boats make global debut in Dubai
- Dubai chamber F&B group sets roadmap for 2014
- Feminisation drive costs $213m to Saudi firms
- US interiors firm opens MEA base in Dubai
- Saudi 'spends $1.6bn on energy drinks'
- Farmer is jailed for raping housemaid in Bahrain
- Bahraini mother recounts firebombs agony
- Guard foils masked ATM robbers in Bahrain
- Bahraini on Arab world's 'most powerful women' list
- Latest kitchen technology at Sharjah event
- Number of HNWIs in Africa to double by 2023
- World boxing legend to visit Bahrain
- UAE road accidents decline by 23.5pc
- Top businesswomen in Bahrain honoured
- Death penalty sought for Bahrain terrorists
- Girl, 9, dies after fall from 8th floor in Abu Dhabi
- Lebanese café brand opens Dubai outlet
- Bahrain poultry firm told to step up safety
- Customer dies in Bahrain cafe brawl
- Bahraini boys hurt while planting bombs
- Philips, Ericsson launch LED street lighting
- DuBiotech to set up first Halal safety lab
- Jotun to supply coatings for Makkah Station
- Raytheon wins $655m Kuwait Patriot deal
- Alwaleed Foundation lights up 3 Saudi villages
- Poultry farms strike may trigger shortages in Bahrain
- Oman seals Victoria food security pact