Barbie to star in movie
Los Angeles, September 24, 2009
Barbie, the iconic Mattel toy, is on her way to the big screen, thanks to Universal Stuidos acquiring the rights make a live-action feature after months of negotiations.
Laurence Mark, whose credits include ``Jerry Maguire'' and ``Julie & Julia,'' is producing the film.
Barbie, celebrating her 50th anniversary as one of the top toy brands in the world, has never been adapted into a live-action film, though not for Hollywood's lack of trying.
Mattel has been extremely protective of the toy, which has generated billions of dollars, wanting nothing to tarnish the polished image. The company did give the go-ahead for a straight-to-home-video animated Barbie movie, which Universal distributes.
It is unclear how the toy will translate to a feature-length movie.
Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts; is sometimes a high school teen, but at times a pilot, military officer, teacher or astronaut; drives a slew of cars; dates a man named Ken; and has friends straight out of a United Colors of Benetton ad.
Separately, Columbia Pictures has entered into negotiations to pick up He-Man, another Mattel property. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Jotun opens warehouse in Dammam
- RAK Ceramics deploys top SAP software
- GCAA warns on helium balloon dangers
- Top pizza chain plans big UAE investment
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to clinch key deal
- UAE food expo nets $544m deals
- Bleak outlook for WTO deal as rift widens
- Cargill picks top ME banker for Asia role
- Raytheon sees $5bn Mideast orders in 'weeks'
- Civil servants may get 20pc pay increase