VisitBritain hosts family movie night
Dubai, November 19, 2013
VisitBritain partnered with Dubai International Film Festival and Harvey Nichols-Dubai to host a family movie night at VOX Cinemas in the Mall of Emirates screening the Disney's remastered movie Mary Poppins.
The screening of Mary Poppins, is a tie up ahead of VisitBritain’s Film is Great campaign that is planned to launch parallel to the Dubai International Film Festival 2013.
The campaign will feature DIFF Goodwill Ambassador, Emirati film director, Ali F. Mostafa, and will aim to leverage the British block buster movies to promote family attractions around filming locations across the UK.
"Mary Poppins is set in the city of London and is a much loved Disney family classic. Family is a prominent segment in the GCC, and our research in the region highlights a strong sense of family – 83 per cent say they like to spend a lot of time with their family," stated Annique Labuschagne, VisitBritain manager for the GCC Markets.
"Our data also reflects that travellers from this region visiting Britain: in 2010, those travelling from the UAE with their spouse and children or with only their children accounted for 20 per cent of all visits. For Saudi this figure is 17 per cent," stated Labuschagne.
Britain is seen as a second home, and Arab families seek shopping, entertainment, learning experiences and attractions for children, she added.
Britain’s rich heritage and culture, along with its film expertise all combine to make the UK an ideal location for filming, something which has been drawing film-makers to Britain for years.
On average, 120 million people worldwide will see a blockbuster film in the first three weeks of it opening and research shows that film locations are a major draw for overseas tourists. VisitBritain research shows that just under half of potential visitors to Britain want to visit places they have seen featured in films or TV.
Labuschagne said through its collaboration with DIFF and Harvey Nichols-Dubai, VisitBritain was aiming to attract families from the GCC to explore filming locations around Britain.”
“From Harry potter to Miss Potter, and from Pride and Prejudice to Brave Heart; filmmakers, cast and crew have filmed some true family classics in Britain," added Labuschagne.
Tanya Atkinson, the GM of Harvey Nichols-Dubai said: "This exciting collaboration with VisitBritain and DIFF reinforces our commitment to supporting art and culture in the UAE and the region. We are thrilled to be screening Poppins tonight and look forward to sharing other exciting initiative with families and customers in the region."-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released