Quincy Jones receiving the Certificate of Appreciation
from Hoda Al Khamis Kanoo
Abu Dhabi Festival to honour top musician
Abu Dhabi, September 30, 2013
The Abu Dhabi Festival 2014, a major event celebrating arts and culture, is honouring the lifelong artistic contribution of the legendary American producer, composer, musician, and music mogul, Quincy Jones.
Presenting him with a certificate of appreciation on Saturday ahead of officially receiving the Abu Dhabi Festival Award in association with Chopard during the 11th edition next year, the Festival has recognised Jones for his creative commitment to music over the course of six decades, for his support of the Arab music sector through the Global Gumbo Group (G3), and for arts education across the world.
Jones has shaped the course of music history through his work with artists such as Michael Jackson on his legendary albums, Off the Wall (1979) and Thriller (1982), and has received many outstanding accolades including a record-breaking 27 Grammy Awards.
Sheikh Nahayan Mabarak Al Nahyan, UAE Minister of Culture, Youth and Community Development, president and patron of the Abu Dhabi Music & Arts Foundation said: "The Abu Dhabi Festival Award represents the true face of Abu Dhabi as a global destination for culture and a creative hub. Abu Dhabi is a city that celebrates the achievements of major artists and honours their success. This award also reflects the great appreciation we have for the influential role in the field of arts and culture that those eligible have played."
Quincy Jones, who is currently in the UAE to present Dubai Music Week with the Global Gumbo Group (G3), said: “I am extremely proud that my work in the region is helping to hone and nurture the music and creative development of such a culturally rich and talented nation. I am honoured to have received a certificate of appreciation, and very much look forward to returning to the region to accept my award and enjoy the Festival in 2014.”
Hoda I Al Khamis-Kanoo, founder and artistic director of the Abu Dhabi Festival, said: “The 2014 Abu Dhabi Festival Award recognises the unique commitment of Quincy Jones - one of the most important people in the history of music. Over the course of six decades, he has changed the way we create, listen and appreciate music throughout the world.”
“His commitment to the development of the Arab music industry and to nurturing arts education across the region will undoubtedly benefit generations. By fostering a love for music among the young, we may look forward to a brighter, creative future for all."
The 2014 Award will be presented to Jones during the Abu Dhabi Festival in March 2014, in association with Chopard. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’