BBC to launch HD channel across Mideast
London, August 1, 2013
BBC World News is set to launch its international high definition (HD) channel on Arabsat on August 5, after which it will be offered as an HD feed across the Middle East.
Arabsat will be the BBC’s first distribution partner in the Middle East to offer the news channel in HD, said a statement.
In January, BBC unveiled its new look, following a re-launch from its newsroom at Broadcasting House in central London.
A refreshed schedule includes a new daily programme, Global, presented by long-time BBC News presenter and reporter Jon Sopel.
In addition to reporting by journalists such as chief international correspondent Lyse Doucet and HARDtalk presenter Stephen Sackur, other recent appointments include Yalda Hakim, an Australian journalist whose recent Our World programmes have focussed on Iraq, Bangladesh and Yemen.
Colin Lawrence, distribution director for BBC Global News, said: “We are pleased to be able to partner with Arabsat to launch BBC World News HD across the Middle East, bringing our audience closer to the news than ever before. BBC World News HD will showcase our commitment to impartial and high quality journalism, and will showcase our news programmes at their best.”
Khalid Balkheyour, president and CEO of Arabsat, said: “We are very proud of the long term partnership with BBC and value their confidence in Arabsat. We are pleased to be the first satellite operator to bring BBC World News HD to its viewers in the region.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps