Arabic top-level domain launched
Los Angeles, July 14, 2013
The Internet after Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), the regulator of web addresses has entered into a contract with dotShabaka Registry for .shabaka to become the world’s first Arabic new Top-Level Domain (TLD).
Surpassing almost 1,900 other applicants from around the world, .shabaka (which translates to .web in English) will become the world’s first borderless new Top-Level Domain and will provide Arabic speaking Internet users with an alternative to non-Arabic Internet namespaces such as .com, .net and .org. It will be a domain name available to everyone wanting an Arabic online presence.
Expected to be live on the Internet in the coming months, .shabaka is part of the new Top-Level Domain programme being rolled out by ICANN to expand the Internet’s web address system.
Yasmin Omer, general manager of dotShabaka Registry said: “Today’s contract signing is a monumental occasion. As the first new Top-Level Domain, .shabaka is set to become the centre of all things Arabic on the Internet. It is an incredible achievement not only for us but for the entire Arabic speaking world. It will pioneer a new way for people to use the Internet that begins with the Arabic language.”
“.shabaka will have a global audience, with over 20 countries in the Mena region which use Arabic as an official language – a region that comprises over 380 million people. Arabic is also the fastest growing language online – with growth of more than 2,500 percent in the 10 years to 2011.”
“In spite of the boom in Arabic content online, users are still burdened with the need to use English on the Internet. Many websites and Internet applications force visitors to only use English. Through .shabaka, we are campaigning for a truly Arabic Internet experience from start to finish,” Omer said.
Joining dotShabaka Registry in this important opportunity is GoDaddy, the world’s largest domain name and Web hosting provider.
“The .shabaka domain name extension marks a meaningful change for the Arabic Internet, with tremendous opportunities for new businesses to grow and flourish ... in the Arabic language. We are ready to help make the new names available with an experience that includes easy-to-use search tools and the reliable service the world has come to expect from us," said GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving.
The addition of GoDaddy as the first Registrar partner will ensure .shabaka is set for worldwide release. dotShabaka Registry will welcome local partners and work closely with businesses within the region to promote local participation. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat