Qatari films to showcase at UK festival
Doha, June 13, 2013
Qatari films based on the stories of Qatari nationals and residents, examining social issues will be showcased at an arts festival to be held on June 15 in Liverpool, UK.
As part of the UK Qatar 2013 Year of Culture, the ‘Made in Qatar’ film programme will premiere at the Liverpool Arab Arts Festival, to be held at the Bluecoat Museum. It will feature a number of short films by young Qatari filmmakers curated by the Doha Film Institute, which will be shown continuously from 12pm to 6pm, said a statement.
A highlight of the showcase is Al Muqanaa, which provides an intimate portrait of well-known and highly recognised Doha resident Ahmed Al-Jaber, the retired policeman and self-confessed artist.
The film gives a name to the mustachioed face that locals had known as ‘the man with the crazy cars’ due to his collection of intricately decorated cars and motorbikes which are adorned with various items of Arab bling. This short film tells his story, his relationship with the community and reveals Al-Jaber's creative vision for the future of Qatar.
Martin Hope, director of the British Council in Qatar, said: “The ‘Made in Qatar’ film programme provides people with a fascinating snap shot of Qatari life and culture. Qatar UK 2013 Year of Culture aims to cultivate mutual recognition, understanding and appreciation of Qatari and British cultures through events like this one that both entertain and educate. The Year also celebrates the strong existing ties between the two countries.” - TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps