Sweden's Princess Madeleine weds US banker
Stockholm, June 8, 2013
A daughter of the Swedish king marries her US-British banker fiance on Saturday at a wedding to be attended by European royals and socialites from across the Atlantic.
The 30-year-old Princess Madeleine, who earned a reputation for partying in her 20s, will marry Christopher O'Neill, 38, who was born and raised in Britain but also has US citizenship.
The princess, fourth in line to the throne, won sympathy among Swedes after her engagement with a long-term boyfriend ended in 2010 after reports he was found cheating on her.
But she attracted negative media coverage just days before the wedding with reports that she tried avoid a traffic ticket near the royal palace by declaring immunity.
The monarchy enjoys fairly wide support among the public in otherwise egalitarian Sweden. Madeleine will continue to live in New York where she works at a children's charity founded by her mother.
Some 600 guests will attend the wedding at the Royal Palace. After the ceremony and a 21-gun salute, a horse and carriage will take the couple to a banquet hosted by King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia.-Reuters
More Media & Promotion Stories
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film