Emirates to sponsor top US soccer team
New York, June 6, 2013
Dubai-based Emirates Airline has agreed to a sponsorship deal to become the jersey-front sponsor of the New York Cosmos, a renowned soccer club.
This agreement makes Emirates a founding partner of the New York Cosmos in their North American reboot season.
The announcement was revealed by New York Cosmos honorary president Pelé, club Chairman Seamus O’Brien and Nabil Sultan, Emirates divisional senior vice president of Revenue Optimization and Distribution, at a news conference at the Four Seasons Hotel New York.
“This is a big day for the future of the New York Cosmos,” Pelé said. “It’s wonderful to be part of such a renowned soccer family.”
“We are delighted that we could create this partnership and bring such a world-renowned organization to United States soccer for the first time,” O’Brien said. “There’s no bigger corporate supporter of sports, and soccer in particular, than Emirates. We’re proud and honored that the Cosmos are part of their plans for America and New York in particular.”
“New York has a rich tradition of sport, and Emirates proudly supports some of the world’s top soccer teams, including AC Milan, Hamburger SV, Arsenal FC, Olympiacos FC, and Paris Saint-Germain, plus the recently announced shirt sponsorship of Real Madrid just last week.. Therefore, choosing to support the relaunch of the Cosmos back to this amazing city was an obvious choice,” said Sultan.
“As with our sponsorship of the US Open tennis tournament, Emirates views our partnership with the Cosmos as a way to thank the people of New York for making Emirates one of the world’s fastest growing airlines. Along with their fans in across the region, we look forward to watching the Cosmos reclaim their title as New York’s legendary soccer team.”
The Fly Emirates logo will adorn the legendary Cosmos green and white shirts produced by Nike beginning with the 2013 North American Soccer League (NASL) fall season. The jerseys will make their debut on August 3 at the Cosmos opening match against the Fort Lauderdale Strikers.
Emirates will benefit from significant branding at Cosmos matches in and around Hofstra University’s Shuart Stadium, as well as online through the New York Cosmos’ social and digital media channels.
Additionally, Emirates becomes the presenting sponsor of the Cosmos Copa, a soccer tournament played in New York City between local, community-based ‘national teams.’ Emirates and the Cosmos will also activate a number of unique and interactive events in New York around the NASL season. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film