Bahrain plans social clubs for disabled
Manama, May 29, 2013
Dedicated social clubs catering to the disabled will open across Bahrain, said a senior government official.
A prototype of the scheme will be first rolled out at Ibn Khuldoon Social Centre, in Muharraq, and the Hamad Town Social Centre for the Disabled for those aged 15 to 40, Social Development Minister Dr Fatima Al Balooshi revealed yesterday.
She said it will then be expanded to include more centres nationwide, according to a report in the Gulf Daily News.
"We are just waiting for the national budget to be approved so we can go with the social clubs on a full scale and we have many programmes and schemes in the pipeline to help the disabled," Dr Al Balooshi told MPs as she appeared in parliament.
"The ministry is not against the opening of private disabled centres and we have just come up with criteria for those to run and operate them, since we have been ordered to pay wages and costs."
Meanwhile, she added that ministries had been instructed to issue discount cards for the elderly using government services.
"There are different discounts for government services and all ministers have received the orders to implement it and more services are on the way for the elderly aged 60 and above," she said.
"We are also working with the private sector to have the cards accepted for services they offer and so far we have got a positive response. Plans are on the way to offer the discount cards for the disabled too, but we need more support." – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released