Proposal for GCC news union backed
Riyadh, May 28, 2013
A Bahraini proposal to establish a Gulf News Agencies Union won support yesterday as heads of Gulf news agencies held their 16th meeting at the GCC general secretariat in Riyadh.
The delegations also welcomed a proposal for Bahrain to host the news establishment, according to the report in the Gulf Daily News.
They tasked Bahrain News Agency (BNA) to conduct a thorough study into the proposed project to be submitted to the GCC information ministers for more scrutiny and approval.
BNA director Mohannad Suleiman, who chaired the meeting, said the proposal to establish the news union won wide support, adding that a meeting would be held in September to discuss the scheme in detail.
He stressed the importance of the proposed project which comes in line with GCC leaders' aspirations to move from the phase of co-operation to the stage of full-fledged union, stressing the need for more co-ordination amid mounting challenges.
The participants also hailed the launch of the Bahrain Award for Gulf News Agencies, which comes as part of the first Gulf Media Forum, scheduled to be held in Bahrain.
The session was attended by GCC assistant unde-rsecretary for cultural and media affairs Khalid Al Ghassani, Kuwait News Agency chairman and director-general Shaikh Mubarak Al Sabah, Saudi Press Agency chairman Abdullah Al Hussain, Oman News Agency acting director-general Dr Mohammed Al Arimi, Qatar News Agency editor-in-chief and director-general Ahmed Al Buainain and UAE News Agency representative Jamal Nasser. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps