Abu Dhabi travel portal wins Webby honour
Abu Dhabi, May 2, 2013
VisitAbuDhabi.ae, Abu Dhabi’s online destination resource, has been listed among top government portals by the 17th annual Webby Awards, the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet.
The Webby recognition from the International Academy of Digital Arts & Sciences named Abu Dhabi ‘Official Honouree’ in the Government category alongside brands like Nasa, New York and the City of London.
This is the first Webby award for an official destination portal in the Arab World.
Some 11,000 entries from over 60 countries contested this year’s awards with the ‘Official Honouree’ distinction going to the top 15 per cent of all work submitted that demonstrated remarkable achievement. Honourees were chosen by the academy’s international jury.
“Over the past year we have devoted considerable effort to upgrading our destination’s digital presence and this drive is still gathering pace with more product development in the pipeline,” said Khalid Al Hadi, executive director, Marketing & Communications, Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority (TCA Abu Dhabi), which owns and operates Visitabudhabi.ae.
“Naturally we are very gratified with this award which will spur us on to further expand the destination’s digital footprint.”
An upgraded version of Visitabudhabi.ae was launched in June last year with a visual, user-friendly look and a new information architecture highlighting what to see and do in the emirate, with more than 200,000 words in eight languages (English, Arabic, French, German, Italian, Russian, Japanese, and Chinese) and over 3,000 images.
The website’s multilingual hotel search, aggregating live deals and room availability from over 50 booking engines, was complimented in late 2012 / early 2013 by the launch of a multilingual flight and car search engine with real-time results, and a trip planner facility which allows travellers to build and share their virtual trips to Abu Dhabi.
Reaching over three million visits a year, with a daily average of over 8,000 clicks, further planned visitor experience enhancements include mobile applications on all key platforms: iPhone, iPad, Android and Windows Phone. – TradeArabia News Service
Tags: abu dhabi |
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps