Bahrain Grand Prix draws 73,000 visitors
Manama, April 22, 2013
The Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix attracted more than 73,000 visitors over the weekend, said a top official, adding that many visitors travelled to the country from across the world.
The Bahrain International Circuit (BIC) spokesman added the racing event, which started last Friday, was a resounding success, according to a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.
"More than 28,000 people, most of them from Bahrain, came to the circuit on the last day yesterday and several hundreds of them stayed back for the enthralling Ne Yo and Calvin Harris concert that concluded the celebrations," said the spokesman.
"We had an impressive array of performances at the Formula One Village where a very large number of families enjoyed themselves over the three days," added the spokesman.
"The most popular sporting event in the Middle East has once again proved to be a great hit."
Numbers of visitors this year were marginally more than last year's 70,000, and the official said the attendance was impressive in spite of the hot weather.
"The activities were in keeping with the needs of the families, who came in large numbers," he added.
Meanwhile, an official at the BIC's medical centre said no major incidents or medical conditions were reported during the weekend.
"We had some cases of heat exhaustion that were quickly dealt with," he said. "Once again, we had an incident-free race but we were prepared for any eventuality. We were a little worried about the intense heat but fortunately, it did not create many problems."
While temperatures at the BIC was reported to be around 30C, the temperature on the track was as high as 41C.
Bottles of water, soft drinks and juice boxes flew off the shelves on all three days, despite some visitors complaining about the high prices. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film