Image: bloomua / Shutterstock.com
YouTube user numbers top 1 billion
San Francisco, March 21, 2013
Google's YouTube said 1 billion unique users were now visiting the video-sharing website every month, or nearly one out of every two people on the Internet.
"If YouTube were a country, we'd be the third largest in the world after China and India," YouTube said in a blog post on Wednesday.
Expanding high-speed data networks across the world and increased availability of internet-enabled smartphones have helped to connect billions of people to the Internet, fuelling growth in social media and video-sharing websites.
Facebook reached 1 billion active users in September, a level of global penetration that has made its quest for sustained growth more challenging.
Both YouTube and Facebook took eight years to cross the billion-user threshold.
YouTube was an instant success after its founding by three former PayPal employees in 2005, adding millions users in its first year. Google bought it for $1.65 billion in 2006.
The video site now represents one of Google's key opportunities to generate new sources of revenue outside of its traditional internet search advertising business.
The popularity of music videos such as South Korean singer Psy's "Gangnam Style" has contributed to an explosion in viewership on YouTube. The video has so far clocked 1.45 billion views. – Reuters
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat