Dr Mohammed Ben Sulayem
FIM enlists Dr Sulayem on board
Dubai, March 3, 2013
The FIM, the International Motorcycling Federation, has announced that Dr Mohammed Ben Sulayem, president of the Automobile and Touring Club of the UAE (ATCUAE), has been elected to the FIM Affiliation Board Committee.
The FIM governs the six main motorcycle-racing disciplines encompassing 65 world championships.
The Affiliation Board Committee’s main role is to appoint and oversee the national motorcycle federations which run international motorcycling worldwide to the standards laid down by the FIM.
Dr Sulayem, who took charge of the ATCUAE in 2006, played an important role last year in persuading the FIM to welcome the Palestinian Motor Sport and Motorcycle Federation into its membership.
He also had an influential part last year in the overhaul of the Arab Motorcycle Federation in moves to raise the standard, and safety level, of regional bike racing.
One of the first decisions of the revamped AMF was to restrict membership to motor cycle bodies officially recognised by the FIM in order to secure a better future for the sport in the region.
Sulayem’s official links with international motorcycle sport go back to 1995 when he secured a place for the UAE in the FIM Cross Country Rallies World Championship through the UAE Desert Challenge, which he had launched four years earlier.
Now known as the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge, the event annually attracts the world’s top riders to the UAE, and the 23rd edition taking place from 4-11 April again promises to be one of the highlights of the FIM series.
The FIM is the motorcycling equivalent of the FIA, motor sport’s world governing body, of which Sulayem is the vice president for Sport. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps