Bahrain to host major UN forum in June
Manama, December 5, 2012
Bahrain will host the United Nations Public Service Awards and Forum 2013 for the first time in the Middle East in June.
The forum, to be held from June 24 – 27 in conjunction with the eGovernment Authority (eGA), is seen as a new achievement for Bahrain.
The event was announced after finalizing the official agreement between eGovernment Authority CEO Mohammed Ali Al Qaed and the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOG) director Haiyan Qian, during their meeting yesterday in New York.
Bahrain will become the fourth country in the world and the first in the Middle East to host and organise such forum outside the UN premises in New York - since its launch 10 years ago.
The forum is expected to attract more than 700 leading figures, policymakers, high-level official delegations, practitioners and innovators in governance, representatives on behalf of international and regional organizations, the academia, non-profit organizations and the private sector arriving from more than 80 countries.
The event is designed to celebrate the value and virtue of public services delivery in the community. Also, its core focus is to shed light on the contributions of public services in the development process, assess the duties of public servants and encourage youth to pursue careers in the public sector.
The awarding ceremony was launched in 2003 to reward public service institutions that are distinguished in categories of Preventing and Combating Corruption in the Public Service; Improving the Delivery of Services; Fostering Participation in Policy-Making Decisions through Innovative Mechanisms; Advancing Knowledge Management in Government; and Promoting Gender Responsive Delivery of Public Services.
eGA has added a new global achievement for the Kingdom by winning the first place in the United Nations Public Service Awards Ceremony of the category ‘Advancing Knowledge Management in Government’ for its Zajel project.
The Kingdom had previously gained an exceptional international recognition by winning three UNPSAs in 2010 Barcelona, Spain for the best performance in eGovernment. These comprise ‘Transparency Development, Accountability and Effective Public Service’ response for the eGovernment portal, UNPSA under the category “Advances Government Knowledge Management” for the National Project of Enterprise ICT Architecture, and the ‘Best Performance Positive Change ranking among top 20 countries according to the UN eGovernment Report 2010.
Al Qaed stated that holding one of the key global events of the UN agenda would enable Bahrain to occupy a leadership position in the public service and eGovernment field at a global level and contribute in achieving the eGovernment strategic goals.
“Bahrain will play a significant leading role in discussing and proposing projects as well as public service standards, in particular the eGovernment’s role. The Kingdom has a key role to play in mobilizing support, cooperation and coordination between various countries, stakeholders, private sector, governmental bodies, and a significant number of other concerned parties,” said Al Qaed. – TradeArabia News Service
Tags: Bahrain |
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE