Samsung names winners of app contest
Amman, November 24, 2012
Samsung Electronics announced the winners of a global contest for developers to create new app experiences for the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab series of smart mobile devices.
The Samsung Smart App Challenge 2012 was divided into two categories, ‘Samsung Apps Super Apps’ and ‘Best S Pen Apps’, and ran for five months from May to September.
In the ‘Best S Pen Apps’ category a judging panel of experts selected the winners, while in the ‘Samsung Apps Super Apps’ category, the winning entries were determined by consumer sales. Entries from 70 countries were received and 80 apps were chosen as the final winners.
“The Smart App Challenge allowed Samsung Electronics and application developers to work together as partners to grow and strengthen the ecosystem for Samsung smart mobile devices,” said WonPyo Hong, executive vice president of Media Solution Center, Samsung Electronics.
“We will continue to actively support app developers from a variety of angles and we expect the new and unique apps will enrich the user experience for Samsung smart mobile devices.”
The developers of the winning entries will be rewarded with a record prize from a cash pool worth $4.08 million alongside a variety of additional marketing and promotional benefits.
The winner of the ‘Best S Pen Apps’ category’s grand prize is From Cheese developed by an Italian company SpinVector. The application allows users to play with the S Pen to lure a mouse to the cheese by drawing a scented trail on the screen.
This creative feature received many positive comments from the judges. In the ‘Samsung Apps Super Apps’ category, 60 most-downloaded applications for the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab series were chosen as the winners.
The country with the largest number of winners was China followed by South Korea and Poland.
The winning apps will be promoted to users of Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab devices on the Samsung Apps website and are also available to view on the competition site (smartappchallenge.com). – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’