A scene from political thriller 'Factory of Lies' by Hamzah Jamjoom.
Diff to screen best of Gulf cinema
Dubai, November 18, 2012
The upcoming Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) will be showcasing the best works of directors from Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Oman through 'Gulf Voices,' a key component of the festival’s out-of-competition category.
Among the most anticipated categories in the Festival, Gulf Voices will comprise of five short and one feature film which portray the complexity, intricacy and changing face of the Gulf region.
The 9th edition of the film festival will boast of four World Premieres and one GCC Premiere of films by directors from Bahrain, Saudi, Iraq and Oman.
As the international home for Arab film, Diff reinforces its commitment to regional grassroots projects though the rich repertoire of Gulf Voices films which will be screened this year, said a senior official.
"Offering some unique perspectives on the Arab world today, the emotive stories portrayed in the Gulf Voices film category will resonate with DIFF audiences," remarked DIFF artistic director, Masoud Amralla Al Ali.
The talent and technique used to craft and develop these films is true testament to Diff’s successful impact on the evolution of the Gulf-wide film industry,” Ali added.
A repository of the Gulf region’s finest films, the six Gulf Voices submissions tell heartfelt stories of hardship and sorrow, murder and deception, blended with remarkable inner-strength and hope which will surely resonate with DIFF audiences, he added.
In a heart rendering story of survival and persistence, the feature film and GGC premiere of Aseelby Khalid Zidjali portrays the struggles of a nine-year old tribal boy striving to protect his heritage and village.
Iraqi filmmaker Kamiran Betasi, will showcase the World Premiere of his complex and thought-provoking short film 'Silhoutte' which discovers the intrinsic link between life, hope and the pursuit of happiness.
In a riveting story of greed, deception and murder in American Business, the political thriller 'Factory of Lies' spans the sands of Saudi Arabia to the streets of Chicago. The film, which will make its World Premiere at DIFF, is written and directed by Saudi Hamzah Jamjoom.
Independent Bahraini writer and director, Mohammed Rashed Buali, who has also been shortlisted for the IWC Schaffhausen Filmmaker Award, will present 'This is London.'
The film, which is an Enjaaz Shorts production, portrays a couple’s mission to capture a perfect shot of parental love to send to their son. It has previously won The Official Gulf Competition at GFF 2012.
Similar in theme, Saudi Arabia’s Nawaf Al hoshani will present the World Premiere of 'Just a Picture' at Diff. The film explores the journey of discovery undertaken by three men searching for a picture-perfect desert photograph.
The final selection and the World Premiere of '48 Hours', by Haider Al-Kinani, narrates a story profiling the strength and resilience of the next generation of Iraqi graduates.
Diff’s out-of-competition category has been critically acclaimed and widely appreciated by film-loving audiences in Dubai. Each year, the festival presents a staggering number of world, international and regional premieres proving its status as a festival of choice for film-makers from around the world.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps