Etisalat showcases Augmented Reality technology
Dubai, October 15, 2012
Etisalat Group, the telecommunications corporation with operations in 15 markets, today showcased its Augmented Reality technology at Gitex Technology Week 2012 in Dubai.
The new Augmented Reality platform, part of the digital services that Etisalat is showcasing at Gitex, enhances the view of real life by overlaying computer-generated content, whether video, 3D models, or interactive and dynamic web content, and it can be triggered by an image, a location or a combination of the two.
Ahmad Abdulkarim Julfar, chief executive officer of Etisalat Group, participating at a roundtable discussion on Digital Transformation at ITU Telecom World 2012, said: “The rapid development of new technologies such as mobile phone cameras, more powerful computing processors, touch screens, GPS devices and more, are driving the development of the digital applications, including Augmented Reality.
“There are an increasing number of these applications available on tablets and smartphones, and they have enabled us to make use of all of our senses, including the sense of touch and hearing. For example, imagine a virtual friend who is always near to give information and data around the clock.”
“In addition to Augmented Reality applications that are currently available in education, commerce and gaming, we see a promising future in digital advertising, medicine, engineering and other future sciences,” he said.
Julfar also added that the investment in digital services, and specifically in Augmented Reality in the field of education, can be used in many different sectors, such as recreating and reproducing the illustrated history of the UAE, highlighting the importance of heritage in a way never before seen.
“Governments need to encourage investment in ICT as technology will be involved in every aspect of our daily life, including health, e-commerce, cloud computing, video services and M2M, and will contribute to economic growth and social development,” he said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE