Alhosn University hosts first volunteer fair
Abu Dhabi, June 19, 2012
The American Corner of Abu Dhabi City located in Alhosn University is hosting the UAE capital’s first ‘volunteer fair’ at the varsity campus.
The fair’s three major objectives are to provide a platform for adults who want to volunteer, for organisations who want to familiarize the public with their work and for community members who are open to alternative views on volunteer work.
The Alhosn-based American Corner of Abu Dhabi City – a leading resource center for American culture, policy and business –is collaborating with the student-faculty humanitarian club ‘Speak Louder’ in running the fair.
The American Corner’s event organising team has coordinated with the volunteering community to meet diverse interests ranging from the general such as animal welfare and environmental protection to the more specific such as cancer research and recycling.
The American Corner is facilitating informational lectures on major volunteerism topics such as micro-financing and philanthropy. Moreover, interested participants will be pledged in as volunteers and challenged to fulfill their responsibilities throughout the year.
Adding excitement and fun to the event are various activities such as face painting and arts and crafts sessions as well as a film viewing session for children. The fair will enable volunteer organizations in Abu Dhabi and across the country to jumpstart a productive summer of social activity and partnerships.
“Alhosn University often reminds its students to keep the welfare of their respective communities in mind while pursuing personal and professional growth,” said Prof Abdul Rahim Sabouni, vice chancellor, Alhosn University.
“The upcoming Volunteer Fair is a historic first for Abu Dhabi and an ideal medium for our university to concretize its commitment to ‘global knowledge with local vision.’ The simplest acts of charity or kindness can go a long way for the people who most need them. This fair is our own way of leading by example,” he added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE