Expo Centre Sharjah to foray into Qatar
Sharjah, June 5, 2012
Expo Centre Sharjah is planning to organise some of its prominent trade shows in Qatar in association with the Qatar National Convention Centre and Qatar Expo.
The foundation for this strategic partnership was laid during the recent visit of Saif Mohammed Al Midfa, director-general of Expo Centre Sharjah, to Qatar, when he met Adam Mather-Brown, general manager, Qatar National Convention Centre (QNCC), and other senior officials of QNCC and Qatar Expo.
“We already have tie-ups with Iraq, Oman and Kuwait in the region and it was natural for us to explore the Qatar market, and with Qatar being the world’s fast-growing economy it makes good economic sense too,” said Al Midfa.
According to reports, Qatar has overtaken Kuwait as the third largest economy within the six-nation GCC after Saudi Arabia and the UAE. Qatar, which is the world’s top liquefied natural gas exporter, is pumping billions of dollars into infrastructure projects to host the soccer World Cup in 2022.
“Qatar is the hot and happening meetings and conventions market in the Gulf. And in QNCC and Qatar Expo we have great partners who have cut their teeth in the exhibitions business there. We have discussed the modalities of introducing some of our premier shows in Qatar,” said Al Midfa.
Qatar’s infrastructure and construction market is expected to outperform even developed economies by averaging a growth rate of 12.5 per cent a year in this decade, a Commercialbank Capital report said. In comparison, the construction market growth in the European countries will average just 1.7 per cent to 2020, it said.
Trade between the UAE and Qatar reached $2.15 billion in 2011, and is set to surge on the back of Qatar’s announcement that it will spend 27 per cent more in the current fiscal.
During his visit, Al Midfa toured QNCC and was briefed on the new centre’s facilities. A member of the Qatar Foundation, QNCC has exceeded its revenue target well before the end of the first year of operation. During its first seven months, QNCC hosted 128 events, attracting more than 128,000 visitors. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon