Dolby, Philips launch glasses-free 3D HD
Las Vegas, April 19, 2012
Dolby Laboratories and Royal Philips Electronics have unveiled Dolby 3D, that enables glasses-free 3D HD viewing for displays of any size, allowing 3D HD content to be delivered to any device, from tablets to smartphones.
Dolby 3D is being demonstrated at the NAB Show (April 16–19, 2012) in Las Vegas.
“Philips has a long history in 3D technologies and video innovation, and Dolby has a proven track record of enabling technologies to enhance entertainment experiences. Together, we identified a business need where we could bring a unique offering to the market that improves the end-user experience,” said Ruud Peters, Chief Intellectual Property Officer at Philips.
“By unveiling Dolby 3D, we introduce a 3D HD format capable of powering glasses-free 3D displays of any size, enabling broadcasters, operators, content aggregators, and device manufacturers to deliver HD-quality 3D on any device.”
Ramzi Haidamus, executive vice president, Sales and Marketing, Dolby Laboratories, stated: “We believe that Dolby 3D can help drive the adoption of 3D—creating a comfortable, customizable, truly enjoyable glasses-free 3D viewing experience while enhancing 3D display performance.”
“Armed with the innovative glasses-free 3D display technology from Philips, based on years of extensive research and development in the field, we plan to bring the same philosophy to 3D that Dolby has brought to the audio space—integrating our technologies and strengths throughout the entire content chain. Consumers will know that when they see Dolby 3D content on a 3D-enabled device, it will look its very best.”
“Dolby and Philips are committed to taking the 3D experience to the next level and delivering a high-quality solution for all 3D display devices, including today’s glasses-based devices and tomorrow’s glasses-free displays. Working on cutting-edge technology with two leading companies is very exciting, and I’m thrilled to lead this unique joint effort,” said Guido Voltolina, general manager of the joint project.
The focus of the project will be to work with original equipment manufacturers of display panels and entertainment devices to enhance the performance of 3D consumer devices to make viewing of 3D content just as convenient and appealing as viewing of 2D content on a high-quality screen is today.
This project is uniquely positioned to enable the industry’s adoption of 3D by working on standardization and licensing of the technology.
The Dolby 3D experience will seamlessly integrate into the use cases and viewing patterns of consumers on the go and in the home, making the use of 3D devices an enjoyable daily experience.
Content owners and broadcast operators have the unique opportunity to differentiate their offerings by encoding 3D titles in Dolby 3D for maximum fidelity on Dolby 3D enabled devices while maintaining compatibility with existing 3D products. The system will enable a 3D HD format, including tools for 3D content creation and real-time 3D content conversion. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation