Emiratis to participate in Olympic torch relay
Dubai, April 12, 2012
Select Emiratis will take part in the London 2012 Olympic Games ‘torch relay’ which is set to kick off on May 19, VisitBritain officials said.
The London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay will begin its 70-day journey around the UK taking in many of its cultural landmarks.
Visiting over 1,000 cities, towns, and villages along its 8,000 mile route, the Olympic Flame aims to excite the UK and marks the official start of the London 2012 Olympic Games upon its arrival at the Olympic Stadium on July 27.
Chris Foy, head of 2012 Olympic Unit, said: “One of the most iconic images in all of sport, the official torch lighting of the cauldron at the opening ceremony, signifying the official start of the London 2012 Olympic Games, will be magical for all involved. That we have Emiratis, and other UAE residents of distinction, taking part in the torch relay makes that moment even more special, as the bond between the UK and the Emirates has grown so significantly in the 40 years since the country was created.”
Abdulla Al Gurg, general manager of Easa Saleh Al Gurg Group, has been confirmed as one of the Olympic torchbearers. He will run a stretch of the journey in the London Borough of Lambeth.
The torch bearers include some who have fought serious illness, people who have gone above and beyond for their communities, the statement said.
Other London 2012 torch bearers from the UAE include Elham Qasimi, the first Arab woman to trek to the North Pole; Simran Vedvyas, social campaigner; Hassanain Anver, founder of an online UAE youth platform; Jalal bin Thaneya, a social advocate for children with special needs; and Robert Swift, a marketing manager from Etisalat. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing