Maradona on debut Bahrain visit
Manama, April 4, 2012
Football legend Diego Armando Maradona last night gave thumbs-up for the great hospitality and generosity of the Bahrain people on arrival at the Bahrain Airport.
The former Argentinean star striker is here in his capacity as manager of UAE club Al Wasl, which is due to play a crucial GCC Clubs Championship Group D tie against Riffa today at Khalifa Sports City.
The 51-year-old Argentinean, who named an 18-member squad for Riffa's match, was given a warm welcome on arrival by senior club officials, headed by soccer team manager Shaikh Khalid bin Ali Al Khalifa, his deputy Shaikh Khalifa bin Ali Al Khalifa, club vice-president Shaikh Ziyad bin Faisal Al Khalifa and board members.
"This is my first visit to Bahrain and ever since I reached Bahrain there were smiles everywhere and welcoming gestures for me and my team," Maradona told local media in a brief interview during a special ceremony at the Gulf Hotel late yesterday.
At this ceremony, organised by Riffa Club for the visiting delegation and their Argentinean head coach, Maradona also received a certificate of honorary membership by the Bahraini club representatives.
"We were overwhelmed by the kindness of football officials here who offered us all of their facilities, which made this trip so comfortable," said Maradona.
"I would like to thank Riffa Club and their president Shaikh Abdulla for their generous gesture and I am truly proud and honoured to have become a member of a club in Bahrain."
Maradona signed a two-year deal with Al Wasl after he was axed as coach of Argentina following their exit from the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals when they were comprehensively defeated 0-4 by Germany.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE