Dubai Culture picks 24 artists for fair
Dubai, March 12, 2012
Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture) has announced the names of 24 artists selected for Sikka 2012, the dedicated artist-led fair of commissioned work.
The second edition of the fair will be held from March 15 to 25 running concurrently with Art Week, Dubai’s premier umbrella arts initiative.
The artists were short-listed by Sikka’s cross-disciplinary selection committee, chaired by the Authority, comprising established Emirati creative influencers.
The artists were chosen for the concept of their projects, their inspirations, techniques, mediums and know-how of the artists.
Salem Belyouha, projects & events director, Dubai Culture & Arts Authority, said: “The selected projects for Sikka 2012 underline the evolving and varied visual arts landscape of the region.”
“These artists have explored a spectrum of topics through mediums ranging from photography to mixed-media installations bringing a rich personal perspective to the work. Their participation will be an inspiration for emerging artists in the country and in turn contribute to enhancing original content creation.”
“Sikka 2012 will present the direction of evolution of art in the UAE, led by artists here who integrate local ideas with global trends. Sikka, thus, is the first window to the emerging art scene in the UAE,” he added.
Sikka 2012 will be held at the historic Al Bastakiya, the cultural nerve-centre of Dubai. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film