Abu Dhabi film wins first Oscar
Abu Dhabi, February 27, 2012
Abu Dhabi has reached the pinnacle of motion picture recognition by winning its first ever Oscar for “The Help” at the 84th Annual Academy Awards in Los Angeles, said a senior Abu Dhabi Media official.
The film was co-produced by Image Nation, a subsidiary of Abu Dhabi Media, along with Participant Media.
The award was given to Octavia Spencer for Best Actress in a supporting role for her portrayal as Minny Jackson, a headstrong and outspoken African-American maid in Mississippi at the dawn of the Civil Rights era.
Commenting on the Oscar win, Image Nation’s chairman Mohammed Al Mubarak said, “We are extremely proud for Abu Dhabi to be associated with such a successful and recognized film. I want to extend our heartiest congratulations to Octavia and all involved.'
'In 2011, we were happy to have the film’s producer Brunson Green in Abu Dhabi to meet aspiring filmmakers and we expect him to return in the near future to share his experience in the film industry,' Al Mubarak remarked.
'Brunson is a perfect example of how our international partnerships provide guidance and support to aspiring filmmakers from the UAE, he added.
Image Nation CEO Michael Garin said, 'Current Oscar not withstanding our commitment to Abu Dhabi and building the foundations of a motion picture industry remain the focus for Image Nation.'
One of the world’s leading feature film producers, Image Nation's mission is to build the foundations of a strong local film industry in the UAE, he stated.
'We hope that one day one of our Emirati filmmakers could be on stage accepting on Oscar for him or herself,' he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released
- Alwaleed makes it to Bloomberg’s billionaires index
- Bold&Beautiful stars to race Abu Dhabi triathlon
- Paragon releases new Arabic dictionary apps